Tuesday 8 December 2015

Working through frustration to avoid a meltdown!

Today I went to the safari park and things was going well , I find transitioning to the next activity hard so my carer warned me of the next thing happening a few times. But I was having such a good time I was focused on finding the discovery trails to scratch on my card so I got a present that I forgot the next thing so when my carer mentioned it was dinner time it was too sudden for me and felt like a surprise which I hate and cannot cope with! So I started to get upset and was repeating what my carer was saying so we sat down and I decided to tell my carer what was wrong making me upset!

This is the start of the conversation I had with my carer which I felt she really listened to me and understood what I was saying and didn't just insist I ate my dinner she explained the reasons for having dinner now such as it would make me poorly and cause hypos and we could carry on having fun after dinner. 


 
This is the ending of the conversation when we made a now and next and I talked through what I wanted to do and we spoke about what was next so I knew what was happening after I had eaten. It was important for me to know that even though I was having fun now and didn't want to stop we would carry on having fun after our dinner. I felt very proud of myself and happy afterwards and didn't headbutt my carer as she put pressure on my head to help me stop that feeling which made me so happy I felt like I had really communicated well and importantly too my carer had really listened to me and understood me that is so important to me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment