Sunday 21 February 2016

P2Go on the Go: the iPod Touch

Recently I have felt that in addition to the iPad mini we need a more portable AAC solution: my daughter isn't keen on wearing iPad when out and about (and I've chosen not to fight that battle at present because I want communication and P2Go to remain positive things).  Also she's doing horse riding now and because she doesn't have a means of communicating while she's on the horse she will throw herself off the horse when she's bored and wants to finish!!

For this reason I found a great bargain on eBay: an iPod Touch (3rd gen) for £44.99.  I installed P2Go and set up a very simple 3x3 grid with some of the things I think she would most frequently need to say when out and about - it covers the main physical and sensory issues (hunger, thirst, noise, toileting, want to go home, music to reduce stress).  I've also included an iPad button so she has a way to signal if she wants access to her full vocabulary.  We could expand  in time (scrolling down to a second 3x3 grid for instance) but I want to keep it simple for now. 



I then bought a cheap protective case for it and also a waterproof pouch with a neck strap.  I wasn't particularly looking for waterproof solution but liked how this was a quick and easy way to make it wearable.



She has already used it and seems keen.    We haven't tried wearing it yet but I plan to add her favourite music to it so it can double up as MP3 player which I hope will encourage her to wear.  Fingers crossed ...

No comments:

Post a Comment