Friday 12 February 2016

I turned into a butterfly.... No longer the 'quiet' one!

Before I had Proloquo 2 go and before I had carers willing to let me use it this was my life...... A shy girl afraid of the world to scared to let anybody in to scared to let any sound out...... 




I wrote a poem at one of the worst times this is how it goes......


Silence

Imagine living in a world of silence 
Where nobody knows your there 
When your upset and want a hug 
But all you can do is shed a silent tear 

I want to talk to people but the words just won't come out 
Only time u will hear a sound is when nobody is about 
My voice is paralyzed and my throat is closed up

I want to be able to chat away 
I want to let you hear me so badly 
If only u knew the pain I go through just to make a sound 
Then maybe just maybe u would understand 
How happy I would be if one day my voice had been found

I don't have to imagine it because this is real this is me

If you find a key 
Please set me free

Bouncy Pony 12.2.14



LOOK AT ME NOW!!!



I have a voice I can say what ever I want to I can choose to do things in any environment would u believe this was the first time I met a friend and we was talking suddenly I decided I WANTED TO GO ICE SKATING and I was able to tell my carer that easily!! No frustration , No meltdowns just excitement!!!! 

 
And look my carer took me ice skating the following week! 

Proloquo 2 go might not be the voice people expected me to use they might have thought one day my verbal voice would come but after waiting 23 nearly 24 years it was time I accepted and everyone accepted a different way to talk. This is real life , This is autism, This is selective mutism. 

This is ME!  


4 comments:

  1. What an amazing post this is! Thanks for giving me a peek into your experience and letting me use that to fuel changes in my own practices. Keep talking: we ARE listening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carole that means a lot! I love helping others and love how people are listening to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I'm moving into a new job working with teens, many of whom do not yet have their voice! You have given me the perfect inspiration to share with their teachers and families!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank u I am so happy to help Inspire other people! Good luck in your new job :)

      Delete