Tuesday 15 March 2016

Swimming with no meltdowns!

Hi everylittlehelps here!!

For a few weeks now I have wanted to go swimming but my anxieties have always got in the way and time after time it's been cancelled

I decided if I was going to swim then I would plan it and plan it well.

First I had to plan a page on proloquo2go so I could communicate while I swam avoiding any frustration or meltdowns from not being able to say or express what I wanted. Normally I would have pre written anything I wanted to say on the app in each button making it so it was simple, avoided huge anxiety and I would just have to point to 1 button. However I decided to be brave, I decided I would use the intermediate vocal for the first time!!! Which meant 2 new things in one day - swimming and vocab where I would have to point to several buttons to construct a sentence.



Seeing as I was swimming having my iPad wasn't obviously possible so I got it printed and laminated so that I could stick it to a float and take it in the water with me! Great idea given to me by bouncypony!


I coped with the face I wouldn't have twinkle (comfort rabbit) or my comfort blanket - both things that go with me everywhere! What helped that whole situation was that I could communicate avoiding any frustration! I constructed several long sentences with no help from my carer! I said what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go, what was wrong all of which were things that wouldn't be possible without proloquo2go.

No comments:

Post a Comment